It’s all about the bees!
Welcome to the Durham County Beekeepers Association. We meet every third Monday of the month at 6:30pm at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. We have an educational speaker each month and an open discussion about our experiences in beekeeping. All are welcome to participate. (See full or shorter snippet of TEDxDuke video featuring DCBA and Durham!)
Membership in the DCBA is only $10. Fill out the membership form and bring to the next meeting or mail it to the DCBA treasurer: John Cowan, 3514 Shady Creek Drive, Durham, NC 27713
DCBA_Bylaws – signed by the DCBA board and approved by the membership at the April 18, 2016 meeting.
For news and discussion, please join the DCBA Google Group.
— Our next meeting is on Monday, February 19th, 2018 at Sarah P Duke Gardens, 6:30-8:30pm
Just a reminder that DCBA meets the 3rd Monday of each month at Sarah P Duke Gardens, 6:30-8:30pm, unless otherwise announced. Below is this years schedule. Please remember that we also have field days at the Duke Campus Farm Apiary , 2pm, the first Sunday of each month, with exception to February (please see the Swarms and Bait Hives Workshop for February’s field day details). Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t remind everyone that DCBA and NCSBA dues, $10 and $15 respectively, can be payed at any DCBA meeting or event, but are not required to attend DCBA meetings (click here for DCBA Membership Form).
2017 Club Meeting Schedule: (2018 schedule coming in January after 1st meeting)
- January 16th, Will Hicks, NC Department of Agriculture Apiary Inspector, Open-ended Conversation
- February 19th, David Fruchtenicht, Preparing for Swarms
- March 20, Cheralyn Schmidt, NC Cooperative Extension Agent, Cooking with Honey
- April 17, TBA, Queen Rearing
- May 15, Robert Gotwals, NC School of Science and Math, Computing the Honeybee
- June 19, Donna Devanney, Extracting Honey
- July 17, Randall Austin, Mites/SHB/Treating
- August 21, Midyear Potluck
- September 18, Annie Krueger, Research Associate-Pollinator Safety, Bayer Crop Science, Nutrition
- October 16, Overwintering – Panel Discussion
- November 20, End of Year Potluck and Planning Meeting
2018 Officers and Coordinator Roles
- President- Matthew Yearout
- Vice President- Grey Reavis
- Treasurer- John Cowan
- Secretary- Molly Strayer Brown
- Education Coordinator- Michael Parsons
- State Fair Coordinators- Bonnie Pivacek, Janice Thomas
- Club Apiary Coordinator- Stan Holt
- At Large- Donna Devanney
- GAP Coordinators – Gayle Young, Pakis Bessias
Bee School Field Day
2018 Bee School starts Tuesday, January 16th and continues through March. The field day is open to all club members, and will be on March 17th, it will be in the morning, though the exact time and location is still to be determined. If you have been keeping for over a year, then you may take the Certified Beekeeper practical exam, so put it on the calendar.
Some of you are receiving this message because you signed up for bee school or are on the waiting list. I won’t make a habit of messaging you, though I do plan to send a a few more event notification. Please let me know if you do not want these messages, please join the DCBA Google Group if you wish to receive additional notifications and/or to engage the beekeeping community of Durham, https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/durham-county-beekeepers
Looking forward to a new year of beekeeping adventures!
Our November 21 meeting will start at 6:30p.m. at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens.
At this meeting we will elect the officers and executive committee members for 2017 and will plan for next year.
We meet every third Monday of the month at this location. Everyone is welcome!
Note: Our own Donna Devanney will raffle off bee equipment at this meeting with proceeds donated to DCBA! Please bring cash or check.
Our regular meeting (17 October 2016) will be at at 6:30p.m. at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. We meet every third Monday of the month at this location.
Master Beekeeper Liz Lindsey will be speaking to our group at this meeting on “Winter is Coming!” Come join us!
The Bee Informed Partnership Loss and Management Survey for April 2015 to 1 April 2016 is now available.