Happy 2017 Fellow Beekeepers!
Just a reminder that DCBA meets the 3rd Monday of each month at Sarah P Duke Garden, 6:30-8:30pm, unless otherwise announced. Below is this years schedule. Please remember that we also have field days at the Duke Campus Farm Apiary , 2pm, the first Sunday of each month, with exception to February (please see the Swarms and Bait Hives Workshop for February’s field day details). Also, I would be remiss if I didn’t remind everyone that DCBA and NCSBA dues, $10 and $15 respectively, can be payed at any DCBA meeting or event, but are not required to attend DCBA meetings (click here for DCBA Membership Form).
2017 Club Meeting Schedule:
- January 16th, Will Hicks, NC Department of Agriculture Apiary Inspector, Open-ended Conversation
- February 20th, David Fruchtenicht, Preparing for Swarms
- March 20, Cheralyn Schmidt, NC Cooperative Extension Agent, Cooking with Honey
- Please note, this meeting will be held at the Durham Cooperative Extension Office, 721 Foster St Durham, NC 27701, 6:30-8:30pm.
- April 17, TBA, Queen Rearing
- May 15, Robert Gotwals, NC School of Science and Math, Computing the Honeybee
- June 19, Donna Devanney, Extracting Honey
- July 17, Randall Austin, Mites/SHB/Treating
- August 21, Midyear Potluck
- September 18, Annie Krueger, Research Associate-Pollinator Safety, Bayer Crop Science, Nutrition
- October 16, Grey Reavis, Overwintering
- November 20, End of Year Potluck and Planning Meeting
Swarms and Bait Hives Workshop (in lieu of February’s Club Apiary Inspection)
The February 5th, apiary inspection day will be moved to the Durham Bike Co-op, 1612 Acadia St, Durham, NC 27701, and will be at 10am rather than the usual 2pm. Additional details will be sent out on the Google Group in a separate message.
2017 Officers and Coordinator Roles
- President- Matthew Yearout
- Vice President- Margaret Schubert
- Treasurer- John Cowan
- Secretary- Molly Strayer Brown
- Education Coordinator- Grey Reavis
- Outreach Coordinator- Bonnie Pivacek
- Club Apiary Coordinator- Stan Holt
- At Large- Donna Devanney
Beeschool Field Day
Beeschool starts Tuesday, January 17th and continues through March. The field day is open to all club members, and will be on March 18th, it will be in the morning, though the exact time and location is still to be determined. If you have been keeping for over a year, then you may take the Certified Beekeeper practical exam, so put it on the calendar.
Some of you are receiving this message because you signed up for bee school or are on the waiting list. I won’t make a habit of messaging you, though I do plan to send a a few more event notification. Please let me know if you do not want these messages, please join the DCBA Google Group if you wish to receive additional notifications and/or to engage the beekeeping community of Durham, https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/durham-county-beekeepers
Looking forward to a new year of beekeeping adventures!